Holo Holo Pono Pledge
Aloha travelers, explorers and extended ‘ohana, we are here to introduce the Holo Holo Pono Pledge. An oath to ensure you have the most incredible time on Kauai. With your kokua (help) you will aid in preserving our natural beauty, unique history and rich resources; while keeping you and your precious loved ones safe, so you can have the most enjoyable and memorable experiences while on Kauai.
Will you join us in making a special place in your heart for Kauai and malama (to care for and nurture) her by taking the Holo Holo Pono Pledge?
- I pledge to travel responsibly by respecting the land (aina), sea (kai) & traditions of the Hawaiian people.
- I will embrace Kauai’s “aloha spirit” by expressing the same warmth, kindness and care to others, that I give to my family and friends.
- I will make water safety my top priority when I go to the beach; I will never turn my back on the ocean and observe the rule: “when in doubt – don’t go out”.
- I will care for the oceans, reefs and all sea life by using only non-toxic, reef-safe sunscreen.
- When I explore new places and encounter unique plants, animals, marine life and endangered species, I will respect their space and leave them as they are.
- I will be a conscious steward of the ocean by not littering and if I see trash, I will pick it up and find its correct home.
- I will be conscious of my economic impact by bringing a reusable bag to the grocery store, shop local, reduce my use of plastics and always recycle.
- I will slow down by changing my watch to “Hawaiian time”, recognizing the need to be flexible, even when things don’t go as planned.
- I will leave a gentle footprint by making sure I’ve left every person, place and condition the same or better than I found it.
- I will not risk my life and venture beyond safety in search of the ultimate selfie.
- I will incorporate thanks (mahalo) and gratitude into my lifestyle.