Kauai Charity Walk Fundraiser
When it comes to giving back to our Kauai community, Holo Holo Charters isn’t here just to talk the talk, we’re here to walk the walk, and we mean that literally!
Holo Holo Charters is a proud sponsor of the Visitor Industry Charity Walk happening this year on May 6, 2023.
The Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association started the statewide Charity Walk in the 1970s and describes the event as the visitor industry’s way of showing its appreciation for Hawaii communities.
Every May, on the islands of Hawaii, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, Oahu, and Kauai, there’s a friendly competition between visitor industry companies– mostly hotels, but also some tour operators, car rental companies, etc. The visitor industry comes together for a community walk on a Saturday morning and a big pot of money is raised that stays right there on each island and is distributed to local non-profits.
In 2022, Kauai raised $457,000—more than on Oahu and Big Island!—and that money benefitted more than 60 Kauai organizations! Any non-profit organization can apply, and there’s a formula that’s used to allocate funds. The Charity Walk is a big deal here on Kauai and its monies are vital for many of the island’s non-profits.
For the last couple of years, Holo Holo has been a corporate sponsor for the Kauai Charity Walk but this year, we’ve decided to go all in— create a team, make a fundraising plan, and hit the streets!
- Create a team. Everyone is welcome on our Charity Walk team! We’re enticing our employees to walk with us by entering them into a raffle to win gift certificates to local restaurants and staycations. We’ve invited many of our partners, vendors, and affiliates to walk with us. And literally everyone reading this post is welcome to walk with us! If you’re a Kauai visitor and you want to leave the island better than you found it, walk with us! We don’t bite; we’re very friendly people!
- Create a fundraising plan. We’ve signed up for the event with only eight weeks to fundraise, but for our first time raising funds, we’ve set a goal of $20,000 dollars. Our plan to get there includes:
- An option in our booking process for guests to add a donation that we’ll match dollar-for-dollar.
- Holo Holo will donate 5% of all sales from any private charters who book directly with us and tour between now and the Charity Walk on 5/6/23.
- We’ll be asking our partners, vendors, and affiliates to contribute to the good cause as well.
- Hit the streets! The 44th Annual Kauai Charity Walk will be held on Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 7am. Our team and dozens of other visitor industry teams will start at Vidinha Stadium and march through Lihue– south on Hoolako Street, East on Rice, North on Umi, West on Ahukini, South on the Kapula Highway, and back to Vidinha for food, entertainment, and festivities.
If reading this post makes you feel like giving, please do so using this link Charity Walk (givesmart.com). Your donation will help our team reach the $20,000 goal, and the money will go directly to the Charity Walk Fund. Every dollar counts! Click the button “Register & Donation” to share a financial donation and/or sign up for the walk ($50 suggested donation which includes a free t-shirt!).
If you’ll be on island this May 6, do come walk with us! This would be a great way to practice regenerative tourism, leaving Kauai better than it was before you came. At the very least, you get to on a walk with some cool locals!
As always, thanks to our loyal Holo Holo customers. It’s our honor to live and work on Kauai, and it’s our kuleana to give back. Your support makes that possible!